Have you guys taken up reading in isolation?
With more time to spare at home in lockdown, many have gotten into reading as a hobby again. After all, how much Netflix can one person really watch? (Actually, don't answer that; the limit does not exist.)
We thought we'd reach out to Navin Waqar and ask her to share some of her favourite books that we could read to pass the time. Many of you know her from your television screens (and infamously Humsafar, duh), but what you might not know is that the actor is also a voracious reader.
Now that many book stores are delivering again, here's 10 recommendations from her, in her own words:
1) The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
It's one of my favourites because it's poetry in motion; I couldn't put it down!
2) The Bastard Of Istanbul by Elif Shafak
Unpredictable, beautifully written with memorable characters that stay with you long after you've finished reading.
3) A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
I adore this book and will recommend it anyone who reads; you will laugh, cry and hope you will find another like this.
4) And the Mountains Echoed by Khalid Hosseini
One of the most powerful books I've ever read about relationships and loss.
5) Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
As far as thrillers go, this will keep you hooked from start to finish. I read it in one sitting.
6) The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul by Deborah Rodriguez
A story of multiple strong female characters, their friendship and loyalty in the time of turmoil. A must read.
7) The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon
A 15-year-old with Asperger syndrome is out to solve a mystery and you will be rooting for him in more ways than one. Loved it!
8) The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
It's narrated by Susie Salmon who was murdered when she was 14 and how her death impacted the people she loves dearly after she's gone.
9) To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee.
I've read it multiple times, more than I can count. Truly a timeless classic.
10) Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
This book will forever be the most beautiful love story for me. My go-to on rainy days for a bit of romance mixed with vengeance.