Resham condemns Javed Akhtar’s comments about ‘terrorists’ in Pakistan at Faiz Festival
Actor Resham condemned comments made about terrorism by Indian lyricist and poet Javed Akhtar at last weekend’s Faiz Festival. The comments were highlighted in a video shared on social media that went viral on Monday.
In a video from the festival, he can be heard differentiating between how India treats Pakistani artists and vice versa, attaching the blame for the Mumbai attack in 2008 on Pakistani ‘terrorists’. The actor said she was not aware of his remarks and reiterated her love for Pakistan.
On Wednesday, she posted a story on Instagram to address the matter. “My country is more dear to me than anything else. I absolutely had no knowledge about what Javed Akhtar sahab said about my country in the Faiz Festival session,” she wrote. “I condemn his words. As per our customs of special treatment, we consider guests God’s mercy but Pakistan is more precious to us than our hearts and lives.”
A day earlier, she shared photos of herself and Akhtar at a dinner hosted for the Indian screenwriter by singer Ali Zafar, saying she felt “lucky” to be part of such a gathering.
In the video that has gone viral online, Akhtar said that while Indians celebrated late great singers of Pakistan, Pakistan did not reciprocate. “I will not accept formality, we organised huge functions for Nusrat [Fateh Ali Khan] and Mehdi Hassan, there was no function for Lata Mangeshkar in your country.”
He continued, “The truth is that blaming each other is not going to work. We need to reduce tensions in the region. We’re from Mumbai, we saw how our city was attacked. Those people weren’t from Norway, were they? Nor did they come from Egypt. They are still roaming around in your country. If these complaints are in a Hindustani’s heart, you shouldn’t take offence.”
Akhtar arrived in Pakistan last week heading the Indian delegation to attend the Faiz Festival in Lahore.