Bollywood giant Dilip Kumar was hospitalised Sunday morning at the Hinduja Hospital in Mumbai over complaints of breathlessness. His wife, Saira Banu, told the media that doctors were running tests on him to investigate his illness. His Twitter account is active and has been providing routine updates on the Mughal-e-Azam star's health.
An initial tweet reported that the star was facing "episodes of breathlessness," and had been "been admitted to non-Covid PD Hinduja Hospital Khar for routine tests and investigations."
Speaking to Pinkvilla, Banu said, “We are having him treated over here. He has reported some fluid retention, so we are figuring that out. Just now the sonography has been done again, he is better. You all keep praying that he gets better and better.”
As with most celebrity news, news of Kumar's illness also went through the WhatsApp rumour mill and claims emerged of his death. Kumar's account warned followers against these rumours and said "Don’t believe in WhatsApp forwards."
It announced that 98-year-old was stable.
The tweet also inspired optimism among fans, saying that doctors believed that he would be home in the next two to three days.
A tweet was published earlier in the day as well, addressing the disinformation and providing an update on Kumar's health.
"Dilip Saab is on oxygen support — not on ventilator," the tweet clarified.
It also reported that a specialist treating Kumar said they're "waiting for few test results to perform pleural aspiration."
To call Kumar a legend of Bollywood would be an understatement. The man, often known as the Tragedy King of Bollywood, practically was Bollywood for a good few decades — alongside the Big B — with iconic blockbusters like Devdas, Naya Daur, Karma, Mashaal and Shakti to his credit. His fans are hopeful of the star's quick recovery and we hope for the same.