We suggest logging out, going for a long stroll and figuring out how to get through this — The Duke of Hastings, played by Regé-Jean Page, won't be returning to Bridgerton this season.
Netflix and Shondaland announced the devastating news on Friday, confirming that he won't be playing the character on the show’s upcoming second season. The news was revealed via a notice from Lady Whistledown, the show's gossip guru.
“Dear Readers, while all eyes turn to Lord Anthony Bridgerton’s quest to find a Viscountess, we bid adieu to Regé-Jean Page, who so triumphantly played the Duke of Hastings,” the message began.
“We’ll miss Simon’s presence onscreen, but he will always be a part of the Bridgerton family,” it continued. “Daphne will remain a devoted wife and sister, helping her brother navigate the upcoming social season and what it has to offer — more intrigue and romance than my readers may be able to bear.”
A lot of people are upset at the news, because Simon was the honestly the best part of the show!
Even Kim Kardashian was upset!
“I have nothing but excitement for Bridgerton continuing to steam train off and conquer the globe,” Page told Variety. “But there is also value in completing these arcs and sticking the landing.”
Previously, a statement by Netflix's VP Original Series Jinny Howe said that 82 million households around the world tuned into the show in its first 28 days online, surpassing the firm's own projections and making the show Netflix's "biggest series ever."
BRB, we're crying our eyes out right now.